EiffelBench: The dream object-oriented environment
EiffelBench is the visual workbench for object-oriented development.
NEW: you can now take a Web Guided Tour of EiffelBench! See at the bottom of this page.
The graphical programming environment
- Automatic dependency analysis: no more "make files"
- Browsing through a powerful drag & drop mechanism
- Source level debugging with break points
- Object inspection
- Step by step execution
- Generates fast, compact and portable code
- Automatic documentation mechanisms
- Automatic memory allocation and efficient garbage collection
- Cross-development of self-contained C packages
- Editing: displaying and modifying class texts
- Browsing: analyzing parent, heir, client and supplier relationships of a class
Consistent with Eiffel's object-oriented approach, each tool is based not on functions but on a type of programmer's object:
- Project Tool: compiling, executing and debugging a project.
li>System Tool: exploring the various clusters (collections of classes) of a system.
- Class Tool: editing and browsing capabilities on class texts
- Feature Tool: editing, browsing, execution and debugging capabilities on individual routines
- Object Tool: inspection, execution and debugging facilities of individual run-time objects
- Explanation Tool: on-line help facility, including language rules straight from the language's definition: "Eiffel: The Language" by Bertrand Meyer (Prentice Hall, 1992)
Melting ice technology
- Achieves a fast change, test, debug and execution cycle
- Combines compilation and interpretation to achieve the benefits of both solutions without their disadvantages
- Enables developer to see result of a change in seconds, as in the best interpreted environments (quick compilation)
- Delivers high-speed performance: only a small portion will be recompiled
- Performs class-level type checking and guarantees type security
- Updates elements automatically which are indirectly affected by a change
- Produces fully optimized stand-alone output once the development process is completed (final compilation)
EiffelBench is a highly portable system, available on many standard industry platforms and providing a particularly effective vehicle for portable cross-platform development.